Thursday, September 9, 2010

Todo: Information Resource for Objective Metrics

Someone should create an information resource identifying objective measurement techniques for a variety of common objectives. Managers and decision makers could use this to implement objective metrics and verification statistics for their outputs.

For example, a manager or decision maker left to come up with their own way to evaluate the success of a literacy program might do something like conduct pre and post interviews, or examine rates of participation. However, a more objective metric might be to perform pre and post literacy tests, then provide comparison values for a variety of cultures and levels of education.

A manager or decision maker left to come up with their own way to evaluate the performance of a business process might be to conduct surveys on staff contentment and/or customer contentment. However, an objective measure might focus on the number of units produced by the process.

Really, I don't even know if I could come up with an objective metric for any problem that comes my way -- indeed I'm certain I couldn't. But the first place I'd look when implementing a new process or measuring an activity would be my proposed new resource: information metrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment